Saturday 2 January 2016

Gravity Picks 4mm?!

Happy New Year! As a New Year's treat I'm taking a look at two of the 4mm gauge picks from Gravity - the Razer Standard and the Sunrise Standard, both with the master finish edges. These are two of Gravity's more standard shapes; the razer is the 'usual' pick shape, and the sunrise is similar to the Dunlop Jazz III, maybe a bit wider.
Even though I've taken to using a 3mm pick as my go-to plectrum, these 4mm picks really feel like a big hunk of plastic between the fingers, and take a few minutes to get used to.

Once you get used to the increased width, you may need to adjust your hand position - I found that, unless I was only letting the smallest amount of the point from below my thumb, it sounded quite scrape-y.

This picks are by no means jack-of-all-trades type of plectrums, however they really begin to shine when playing fast, articulate alternate picking - especially the Sunrise standard, because of the smaller surface area there's less room to manoeuvre and therefore less room to make it sound scratchy. I find with thinner 'shred' style picks you lose some of the warmth of tone, which some may say isn't required in those situations, but with experience of mixing live bands, I'd say any extra warmth that can be brought when one guitarist starts to play a solo can really reduce the amount of drop out you sometimes get in those situations.

These 4mm picks are a bit of an odd-ball to me, even from just increasing the gauge by 1mm from my usual pick, however I know the shredders amongst you will appreciate the quality and craftsmanship which goes into making Gravity Picks which are more useful to you than thinner, flimsy picks. Do you use a larger gauge pick? What styles of music do you play with it? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment