Wednesday 3 August 2016

JB Guitar Picks Spotlight

This week I'm taking a look at a couple of  JB Guitar Picks. This picks are handmade by JB in Brooklyn and come in a variety of shapes and gauges and are available in two different materials.


The first of the two JB picks I tried out was the interestingly named Corozo pick. After some research, I found out that corozo is also known as tagua, a nut, which is also used to make the Howling Monkey picks I enjoyed reviewing a few weeks ago. This pick is naturally matte, meaning the grip is very comfortable, and JB's hand bevelling makes playing using this pick really easy. Unlike a lot of the harder picks I've tested, this pick works great for rhythm playing as well as lead without being scratchy - this pick is clear, articulate and tonally balanced.

The second JB pick I have is made from celluloid. It is slightly smaller than the Corozo pick I have, but the same gauge: 2.0mm. The finish of this material is more shine, but in testing I did not have a problem holding onto it. Compared to the Corozo model, the tone of this pick is more mid-scooped, with a more enhanced low end and top end. This tonal detail means that it would work well for rhythm guitar, especially with heavily distorted guitar sounds. There is very little friction between this plectrum and the guitar string, so you can play as fast as you like without being hindered by your pick.

As well as two plectrums, JB also sent me his Ultra Shine Pick buffer, a small rectangular bar which can be used to refresh the bevel on a heavily used plectrum, meaning the fast attack is retained in the pick. This is a useful product to have, especially when selling more expensive plectrums, and gives more of an incentive to buy a better pick.

The two picks I've tried from JB Guitar Picks have shown me the amount of work that goes into producing these very high quality products. If you haven't yet, head over to their website and check them out. Each model is available with a couple of different bevelling options, a very good feature in my opinion, and one of the reasons I really enjoyed playing guitar with JB's picks. Thank you for reading this weeks review, if you don't already make sure to follow The Pick on the social medias, and come back next Wednesday for another pick review!

No comments:

Post a Comment