Wednesday 13 April 2016

Eigen Plectrums - Custom Printed Picks

I recently received a package of Eigen picks, custom printed 1.5mm celluloid plectrums with 'The Pick' on them. This picks do not feel like budget printed picks, but rather appear to offer a middle ground between low level, mass printed plectrums and high end hand made custom picks. Eigen Plectrums offer a variety of gauges in it's standard guitar range, from 0.46mm to 1.5mm, and they also offer specific plectrums for bass, custom wooden picks and their EPGrip picks, which offer more grip than their standard range.


The picks which I received are a standard pick shape, and feel pretty comfortable in use. I went for the thickest picks they had as I am used to a thicker plectrum nowadays, and I think this fact makes it feel higher quality. There is a small amount of give in the strength of the pick, meaning it isn't too aggressive with heavy strumming, and I've found that this works well for acoustic playing, where my 3mm V-Picks custom plectrum feels too heavy-handed.

This pick has a nice, well-rounded tone, with no over accented highs or lows, but rather a balanced overall tone. This feature works equally well for both chord and lead work, and also works well as a reference pick. For example, when going from this pick to my Dunlop Tortex 1.14 I notice how scratchy and lacking in warmth that particular plectrum is, and when going to my custom V Pick I notice how much more volume, brightness and overall dynamic control that particular pick has.

Whilst the tone is definitely usable, I wouldn't describe it as unique, and I don't think that many guitarists would be buying a batch of custom printed plectrums for their tone, but rather the look of the plectrum. After a week of regular use, the graphic on this plectrum has not worn away, and remains as crisp and clear it was when I first got it - even the URL, written in tiny font under the logo, is as clear as it was.

As well as the good graphic recreation, the time between me emailing them the logo and me  receiving the plectrums was very impressive, seeing as they were shipped from the Netherlands to the UK and arrived with me five days after emailing the graphic I wanted.

I think it's fair to say that Eigen plectrums aren't designed to be the highest quality musicians tools, however they would make a great gift for the casual guitarist you know or perhaps as a wedding favour or something like that. The printing is high quality, the shipping is impressively fast, and the quality of plectrum is higher than I expected, so why not check them out!

1 comment: