Wednesday 16 December 2015

Dunlop Jazz III - The People's Choice or the Virtuoso's Tool?

The Dunlop Jazz III seems to be highly regarded in many guitarist circles, but seems to have the largest following amongst virtuoso players, with guitarists such as Eric Johnson, John Petrucci and Joe Bonamassa all favouring this small pick. Available in three gauges, ranging from 1.10mm to 1.38mm, and finished in either red or black "stiffo" nylon, I am using the black 1.38mm model. 
With the feel of any regular nylon pick, this model has raised graphics on either side which act as the grip. Coming from using thicker and larger picks (the Gravity Razer 3mm is currently my standard, with the Jazzy Tones turquoise pick reviewed last week coming a close second), this pick feels tiny between the fingers, and playing punk rock style heavy riffs did involve me hitting my forefinger against the string before the pick itself, however this is probably due to my need for adjusting to the smaller surface area.

When used to play melodic runs, whatever the style, this pick really flourishes, which explains it's high status amongst virtuoso players. This pick glides over the strings comfortably, and, unlike a lot of nylon picks I've used, doesn't have a percussive 'click' when it hits the strings. Pinch harmonics are a dream to play, and to someone who usually struggles in this area, it has encouraged me to reassess my picking position with other picks to get these results.

To me, the smaller footprint of this pick encourages softer playing, and dynamic blues-y licks don't burst through the mix as much as I'm used to, however I feel this is a genre of music where players are less likely to require the type of finesse this pick delivers (or maybe I'm being ton harsh to the slow hands out there?!). 

I'm surprised that, for such a small price of just under £4 for a pack of 6, you can use the same picks as artists who spend thousands on getting that tone, but it just goes to show that hand crafted picks aren't always out of the league of mass produced picks like this as their price points often suggests, and if you've never used a Jazz 3, why not check them out, they might be just the thing for you. Let me know what you think of the Jazz 3 in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment